3D Walkthroughs: 10 main advantages for the AEC industry
A 3D walkthrough is a virtual, realistic and detailed tour of the project. Discover the top 10 advantages for the AEC sector.
Today’s technological innovation has had a huge impact on many sectors, including AEC. For example, when we have to present a project in digital form to customers, and even if we are good at doing it in words, nothing will be more incisive and convincing than a 3D tour.
This is where technology and 3D walkthroughs, three-dimensional virtual tours of our projects, can truly come in handy. If you’d like to find out more and get your hands on this technology yourself, continue reading to discover this revolutionary strategy in the field of architectural visualization and interior design.
What is a 3D Walkthrough?
3D walkthroughs are three-dimensional virtual tours of a digitally represented model. The possibility of taking remote virtual tours, way before the construction process even starts, has obvious advantages for both the designer and the customer.
Professionals can present their ideas remotely in a three-dimensional experience to:
- save time;
- receive customer feedback and even experiment changes in real-time;
- be much more convincing and captivating in the presentation of design ideas.
They simply can’t rely on 2D CAD drawings or some static 3D views anymore to present their projects. Without a 3D visual tour, during which the entire experience is personalised according to the client’s needs, the result will not be same.
Real Estate firms can use this technology to show a customer around a potential property before buying a house or a new office premises. They can assess the project in all its detail, evaluate possible changes and, above all, do it from anywhere!
Why are 3D walkthroughs so important to interior designers?
As underlined previously, a 3D walkthrough is a virtual tour that can be initiated from any device, a sort of digital animation that represents the future project with the highest detail and absolute precision .
Thanks to 3D walkthroughs, it is also possible to get precise knowledge of important data and information. Before works are carried out, it is possible to visit any angle of the project remotely and independently, evaluate spaces and measurements, appreciate exterior and interior design solutions and propose changes.
For Interior Designers, 3D walkthroughs represent a giant leap forward in helping customers to see what they are investing in beforehand with informed decisions.
What are the top 10 benefits of 3D walkthroughs?
Let’s now take a closer look at the 10 main benefits that the use of this technology can bring to the architectural field:
- Increased sales. Being able to imagine a spatial distribution only through plans, or static three-dimensional views, is not an easy and obvious thing for everyone. The possibility of carrying out virtual tours of the project greatly helps the customer in the decision-making process and therefore in the decision to buy a property;
- Long-term convenience. Despite the realization of a 3D walkthrough involves initial investments, its realization will allow future economic savings. After investing in the realization of a 3D tour, it will be possible to visualize various options and design combinations without incurring in dubious choices or wrong purchases;
- Higher level of detail. Prospective customers and investors will be able to see all the details they want, leaving no room for imagination. The 3D walkthroughs is a fantastic visualization strategy that offers an immersive experience like few others in the AEC sector;
- Quick and easy changes. Most architectural projects go through multiple changes before entering the construction phase. In the past, making design changes was much more complex and expensive because any problems or the need to make changes were detected only in an advanced design state. Now, thanks to the implementation of new design methodologies and new visualization technologies, just like 3D walkthroughs, detecting interference or evaluating changes and alternatives is much easier, faster and cheaper;
- Saving time. One of the most significant advantages is precisely the amount of time being saved which, especially in the AEC sector, unequivocally translates into cost savings. Thanks to a 3D walthrough, in fact, the time required and that elapses between the design, the visualization by the customer, the changes and the new proposals, is much less compared to the past. This allows better communication between the designer and the customer whose requests and needs are met in a much shorter time;
- Project contextualization. In the field of architecture and construction, project contextualization and its impact on the surrounding environment, are paramount. 3D walkthroughs, often combined with Augmented Reality in construction, allow a completely immersive experience even in the environmental environment of the project;
- Design. 3D walkthroughs are straightforward for everyone, this feature makes it the perfect tool for marketing and project presentations to the end customer;
- Quick and easy sharing. With 3D walkthroughs you can share work virtually with anyone you want with just a few clicks;
- Goodbye to dissatisfied customers! Interpreting customer requests and needs is not always as easy as ABC. However, with 3D walkthroughs it is easy to identify where and why discontent has arisen and consequently provide for changes based on the customer’s observations, which will be facilitated in viewing the project and identifying any problems;
- Realistic and optimal lighting solutions. Representing environments with various lighting solutions and at the same time realistically reproducing the real lighting of a given place at certain times of the day is not as immediate as you can imagine. A 3D tour of the spaces facilitates this task by giving the customer the opportunity to view the spaces at different times of the day, with artificial or natural light.
What are the standard steps for creating a 3D walkthroughs?
Let’s now see what are the steps that will surely be necessary for the realization of a 3D tour:
- Path definition: the first and perhaps most important step to take in the design of a 3D walkthrough is to identify and define the so-called waypoints, or those clickable points to proceed with the view. Starting from a 2D drawing, it is therefore necessary to define the waypoints at appropriate intervals with possible horizontal and vertical movements.
- Camera setup: this is another extremely important step in creating a 3D walkthrough. The path must be fluid and realistic, so it is essential to pay attetion to the camera settings such as focal length, frame rate, time for each frame, etc.
- Predisposition of vertical movements: vertical movements in a 3D walkthrough can be a rather difficult step, so it is important to define some parameters well, such as interplan heights, stairs, etc., for a high quality architectural performance.
- Integration and sharing: creating and then sharing the 3D walkthrough is essential for good communication with the customer who in this way will be able to view the guide directly from home, in the times and in the ways that he will choose.
Providing the client with the opportunity to carry out his personal tour within the project is a much more efficient and modern method to present ideas and meet the client’s needs. So you can understand how important it is to get closer to this new way of communicating.
I recommend you start off straight away and get your hands on this fascinating technology with a 3D architecture design software that combines architecture, design and architectural visualization in one single solution!