A quick and practical example that shows how to convert a DWG file into an open IFC format and collaborate with all the technical experts involved in the project
Have you produced your project in DWG, OBJ, SKP, 3DS, etc … and you don’t know how to convert it into an IFC format in order to collaborate with your colleagues? Today we’ll be seeing how to do it in a few steps, by simply downloading a free software solution certified by buildingSMART international.
How to convert a DWG file to IFC with usBIM.viewer +
There are several tools that allow you to convert a DWG into IFC file. In this example we will explain how to do it in a simple way with usBIM.viewer +, the freeware by ACCA software to manage IFC files.
Shortly, to convert a DWG into an IFC file, follow these simple steps:
- Download for free and install now usBIM.viewer+
- Choose the Create document from 3D file option
- Select the 3D model to convert
- From the toolbar, click on Export IFC file.
Video regarding how to convert a DWG into IFC
In the video below we’ll show you how to obtain your IFC file in a very simple manner.
Don’t forget that with usBIM.viewer+ you can take advantage of many other functions, such as:
- export IFC files of models that are created with BIM authoring software, such as Revit® or another 3D software like SketchUp®
- open, view and federate multiple IFC files simultaneously
- freely edit and modify the BIM model
- convert 3D models into IFC format
- co-operate with cloud in the BIM process.
usBIM.viewer + is the only freeware certified by buildingSMART international that allows you to entirely edit the IFC file of a BIM model. With usBIM.viewer + it is possible to:
- create an IFC file from any file format or open an IFC file produced by any Authoring architectural, structural, plant design, etc. software (Revit, ArchiCAD, Tecla, Vector Works, AllPlan etc.)
- view all the IFC objects that constitute the model and work on each of them by adding properties, replacing their geometry or deleting both aspects
- insert new objects that you can export from any online catalogue in any format.
All changes applied to the model are saved in a new model in IFC file format.
usBIM.viewer + completely changes the potential use of the IFC format of a BIM model. In fact, the IFC format not only guarantees access to data over time, regardless of the software with which the model was produced, but it also represents the format used to freely manage information during the building’s construction and maintenance phases.
What is an IFC file format?
The IFC (Industry Foundation Classes) is an open data format created to facilitate interoperability between the various actors involved in a process. The main purpose of the IFC format is to allow the interchange of an information model without loss or distortion of data or information.
The IFC has been designed to preserve the information of a building in all its life cycle phases: from the feasibility analysis to its construction and maintenance, as well as in all the design and planning steps.
The advantages of the open format
The main advantage offered by the IFC format is the possibility of facilitating collaboration between the various stakeholders involved in the construction process, allowing them to exchange information through a standard format.
This leads to higher quality, reduction of errors, reduction of costs and time savings.
As a matter of facts, IFC models contain the building geometry and the data associated with its elements. They may include all or only part of the information contained in the original BIM files.
Exporting project data that has been created using BIM practices to an IFC file is the best way to transfer data from one application to another.
If you would like to be updated with similar contents, stay tuned and read our upcoming focus articles!