Find out how to deliver a competitive advantage presenting a winning interior design project thanks to detailed 2D floor plans and 3D views
The main task of an interior designer or professional architect is to penetrate deeper into the customer’s ideas and then implement them in the form of a project. It is crucial to establish a style of interaction and develop an effective communication with the client since the first meeting.
For this reason, the designer needs to have the right expertise to also interpret the client’s need and respond in a timely manner to practical problems by providing an adequate solution in terms of:
- traditional bidimensional documents (floor plans, cross-sections, elevation views, etc.)
- 3D views (photorealistic images, 3D model to navigate in real time, etc.).
In this focus article we’ll be seeing how to present an interior design project by dynamically obtaining all the technical drawings from a 3D model to share project ideas and the various technical aspects that need to be implemented to your client.
I’ll be using Edificius, the ACCA’s architectural and interior design software, to produce some examples. Download the free trial version of Edificius here and read my tips below.
How to generate 2D floor plans and 3D views
From your 3D model, you can quickly generate 2D drawings and 3D views for extraordinary representations of the planned environment.
How to generate 2D plans dynamically from a 3D model
In this section I’m going to show you how to dynamically obtain all the 2D drawings conveying all the relevant technical information.
Follow these simple steps to generate the drawing models of your interior design project:
- access the floor plan at your desired level and from the
IFC, photos and drawing modelsnode select the
Floor Plan, Cross-section and Elevation viewscommand, according to the view that you want to generate
- click within the drawing work space to obtain your project floor plan, or define a cross-section plan
- view the design plan reproduced in the
- customize the graphics by choosing the print styles you prefer and modify them according to your tastes.
How to produce working drawings
If you need to create working drawings, simply drag the individual drawings including images and renderings of your interior design onto the sheet of your choice.
You can obtain working drawings complete with floor plans, cross-sections, isometric cut-aways and renders with just a mouse click.
All the generated views (floor plans, cross-sections, isometric views, etc.) are dynamically connected to the BIM model. In fact, they are automatically updated each time we modify the model and are ready to be presented to your client and shared on websites, social media or to blog posts.
How to generate impressive 3D views
Here’s how you can reproduce realistic 3D views to present your project in a unique way.
In order to create an isometric cut-away with Edificius, follow these steps:
- create a floor plan or cross-section with the appropriate command
- select the plan or section entity that you have generated
- mouse right-click on the
Isometric Cutawaysand then choose
Add Isometric Cutaway
- find the right point of view using your mouse
- render the view you have chosen.
In this way you can obtain project 3D images in just a matter of minutes and immediately show them to your client.