Learn how to extract infinite sections directly from a point cloud using an online application.
If you have been provided with a point cloud of an existing building or an area where you need to work and you want to gain a deeper understanding of the location, the structure, and its interior spaces, you can use a point cloud viewer to:
- Visualize the point cloud in formats such as .PTS, .XYZ, .PLY, .E57, .LAS, .LAZ, .XYZCIRN, and .ASC;
- Take measurements;
- Federate multiple 3D models and manage visibility, transparency, and coloring;
- Instantly extract sections of the model using any section plane;
- Compare the as-built and design situations for existing heritage recovery projects, archaeological sites, and historical buildings;
- Add information and external links to the project;
- Share the model with a simple link that takes you directly to the cloud, where you have stored your file.
Now, let’s dive into how to extract sections from a point cloud using an online application. This means you won’t need to install any software or applications on your computer, and you can perform these operations from any internet-connected device.
The functionalities I’m going to show you will allow you to create infinite sections of the point cloud according to the planes orthogonal to the X, Y, and Z axes, as well as oblique planes. You can rotate the section plane with the appropriate handle. Even after sectioning the 3D model, you can still use commands to navigate the point cloud in first-person view.
These operations will allow you to analyze the details of the surveyed model in-depth and gain a more comprehensive understanding of the asset. You’ll be able to view all possible angles, including those that may be inaccessible or hazardous in real-life scenarios. This technique enables you to visit places that are not easily reachable and closely analyze the details of the surveyed object.
Here’s how to proceed:
- Access the usBIM page and enter your ACCA account credentials;
- If you don’t have an ACCA account yet:
- Go to the MyACCA page;
- Register by providing all your details;
- Enter your email address and password.
- Using a simple drag and drop, upload the point cloud file to a folder in the usBIM cloud;
- Navigate the model by setting the camera to
- Click on the
Sectionscommand and choose the section plane (X, Y, or Z);
- Translate the section plane with the handle and view the infinite sections generated in real-time.