Assigning materials in a BIM software and aligning objects
Assigning materials in a BIM software. Defining object properties and aligning the architectural elements in the building’s 3D view. Read our complete guide with all the steps to follow when using an architectural design software.
The innovation brought by BIM technology to the various design phases – whether it be a new construction, an installation, maintenance work, etc. – gives strong evidence of the major advantages proved for the excellent level of monitoring of all aspects. In both the operational and management stages, Building Information Modeling always offers the ability to analyze and compare the important work parameters. It also allows to check progress stages and any deviations to the project’s timetable to ensure proper management and correspondance with the set goals.
In particular. let’s take a look at how we can assign materials and properties to objects taken from the BIM Library or from other projects, and how to align architectural elements in 3D view using the Edificius BIM software developed by ACCA.
Aligning objects with a BIM software
- Let’s start off by aligning the architectural elements in 3D view. In this example, the windows seem to have been positioned randomnly.
- To align these object types along a precise axis, you need to first select the objects in 3D view. Keep the SHIFT key pressed to select multiple objects.
- With the multiple objects now highlighted and selected, the Align button is now active which activates the object alignment mode.
- At this stage the program identifies the possible alignment axis for each of the selected objects and to which all other selected objects can be aligned to.
- For greater flexibility and ease of use, the program also allows the user to align objects according to both horizontal and vertical reference axis.
Assigning materials with a BIM software
With the objects now aligned, they can also be assigned with HD realistic materials by choosing them from the endless number of textures available in the BIM Objects Library or by acquiring them from other project files.
- To assign a material to any object type, simply select the Paint Bucket tool placed on the Edificius ribbon toolbar.
- Once activated, the BIM Objects Library is immediately opened providing various categories of materials and colours for use within your Edificius project.
- With the selected material now active, its application is very easy, in fact, a simple left mouse button click on the object’s surface will apply the chosen material.
- In some cases, we may need to use a material that was previously set up in another project file. We can simply open that project file and sample the desired material for use in our current project file. From this point on, the procedure is virtually the same. The active material, acquired from the source file, can now be applied to our destination project file in just two clicks.
- Now you can click on the object surface to apply the sampled material or colour.
Assigning properties with a BIM software
- Similarly, in addition to copying materials from one object to another, but also object properties can be acquired and copied too. With the copy from… function, we can easily copy an object’s properties (size, geometrical parameters, etc.) and paste them to a destination object of the same type.
- Again, a simple click on the object, will automatically apply the copied properties to the destination object. Remember, this feature allows you to quickly duplicate property settings, but they must be of the same kind.
Click here to download Edificius, the architectural BIM design software