Agile construction is a cyclical, iterative and collaborative approach that you can manage construction projects with. Learn what it is and how to use this approach
In the past few years, project management with the “agile” approach has become very popular in many sectors since it has been very effective in the construction industry.
A specific construction management software , that I recommend you try immediately , turns out to be very useful to apply this method .With the help of these tools you will be able to break down the construction project into smaller phases optimizing its overall organization. Find out how in this article!
What is Agile Construction?
Agile construction is a project management approach that has its origins in software development, but also adapts well to the changing needs of the construction industry; it is based on the continuous collaboration between stakeholders to improve and iterate a project at every stage.
The basic idea of the Agile approach is based on the strategic division of any large project into smaller, manageable tasks. In particular, these activities are broken down according to priorities, providing higher quality results and optimizing the workflow.
How is the Agile approach applicable in construction?
The Agile approach is applicable in any constructive project, because it does not prescribe strict rules on how the work is to be performed. Therefore it collects practical advice to change the work environment and improve the mentality and objectives of the team.
In fact, it contrasts with the traditional waterfall project management method. This method is characterized by a short planning and verification process before the start of the realization,that is difficult to modify once the construction begins.
The use of Agile management allows you to have greater transparency in the team work/client relationship. It also encourages collaborative work and allows you to develop the project more quickly. This approach has a strong impact precisely in the initial planning, design and in general pre-construction phases. It is in these phases that with sketches, drawings and models it is possible to collect feedback from the client. By doing so, changes in the executive phases will be minimized and we can achieve well-defined results immediately.
Examples of Agile Construction
Examples of Agile construction include:
- construction road map: the work team creates work activities, that have well-defined characteristics and requirements. The definition of the execution’s sequence of the activities, takes place according to the needs of the clients, in their presence and allows you to create your own roadmap;
- project sequencing plans: it is possible to divide the project into several areas of work: measurable, usable and segmentable pieces. They are different according to the phases; in fact each phase will have separate sequencing plans, with separate scopes, but any change to one of the plans will result in an update to all the others;
- sprintplanning: is a process that involves all the teams, because it represents the time to discuss, divide and put in sequence all the work activities, in order to optimize the construction process and bring greater benefits to the customer.
What Are the Advantages of Agile Construction
The advantages that Agile construction can bring to the workflow are many:
- greater communication;
- reduction of project delays due to rework;
- offers value to the real project;
- improves the performance of team work;
- improves the management and organisation of unforeseen events;
- constant monitoring of processes;
- implementation of new software technologies.
How to use the ‘Agile’ method in the construction industry
Just follow these 4 useful tipsTo use the “Agile” method in the construction industry:
- constantly collaborate with team work and with customers;
- immediately communicate any doubts or problems;
- develop flexibility in the context of design changes
- immediately try a free construction management software to eliminate manual procedures, optimize performance and improve the quality of your work.