Integrating GIS and BIM collaboration platforms allows team members to georeference and get a complete picture of their project
Online collaboration is quickly becoming a permanent feature in the AEC industry while implementing a cloud-based collaborative environment, accessible from anywhere, is often more required by architects, engineers and construction firms.
As a result, many providers have created cloud collaboration tools. These include systems integrations that allow project members to view, create and edit GIS files in a BIM platform to better manage the construction project’s data driven information resources.
GIS (acronym for Geographic Information System) locates objects that are contained in a database and grouped according to similar characteristics in space, and therefore on a map, managing them as georeferenced thematic based information layers.
For more info on this topic, check our previous post available here.
GIS enables BIM workflow members to contextualize project areas, geo-reference them, add markers and add links to specific documents.
GIS in the “usBIM.platform” CDE
ACCA software’s BIM collaboration platform, usBIM.platform, allows easy cloud based GIS file creation, editing and sharing with no need to install other software for GIS files management.
Simply create a new document within your project and select “usBIM.gis GIS Map”.
Now that we have the new GIS type document, the usBIM.gis interface will pop up. This service, integrated in usBIM.platform, allows you to contextualize on a territorial map, models uploaded on the digital platform with a georeferenced view of the information contained in the various project documents.
usBIM.gis provides various other functions too, such as:
- creating customized maps thanks to OpenStreetMaps;
- creating one or more customized layers (information layers);
- inserting graphical information, such as lines, rectangles, polygons and markers;
- collaborating in real time on the same document with other designers by means of collaborative Working;
- adding custom properties to maps;
- connecting BIM models in the usBIM.platform CDE environment to create real territorial maps with all the relevant BIM information;
- exporting documents in the open GeoJSON format.
How to operate with usBIM.gis
The usBIM.gis interface is extremely simple and intuitive:
- on the left-hand side, there are a series of folders for collecting markers and polygons and the subdivision into layers;
- the map is displayed in the center (satellite imagery based or vectorial);
- one of the three menus is on the right-hand side, which, based on whats selected, shows:
- users currently online and messages – It is possible that several users are connected at the same time on the same file: they will be able to communicate in a dynamic chat session positioned on the right;
- properties of the selected objects;
- attached documents.
Once the project area has been identified, specific graphical mark-up objects can be used (lines/polygons, etc).
You can even switch to a satellite image view.
By selecting an object, it is possible to view its properties and edit them.
Finally, usBIM.gis allows you to attach documents that are saved on your computer or that are already uploaded to the usBIM.platform CDE.