Obtaining technical project documents from an IFC model is a straightforward process if you have the right tools. Find out more by reading this article.
Do you need to create technical documents from an IFC model of a project, but don’t know how to do it? Do you have an IFC model but lack a BIM software to open it?
Don’t worry; follow my instructions.
In this article, I will explain how you can extract floor plans, elevations, sections, and more from your IFC model in just a few simple steps, using an online software for creating graphic documents. This tool allows you to manage your IFC file effectively and obtain all the necessary information wherever you are.
Let’s get started!
What is an IFC file?
The IFC file is an open file format (not proprietary) used to effectively manage the BIM process and exchange information among various parties (architects, engineers, contractors, etc.) throughout the asset’s lifecycle.
However, describing the IFC in these terms would oversimplify its usefulness in the BIM process. In fact, in addition to what has been mentioned, it is primarily a data schema organized according to very precise rules, allowing it to be used as a “storage system” that enhances process organization and data exchange.
Advantages of the IFC file for creating graphic documents
We are aware of the numerous advantages of IFC, including the ability to produce all project documentation, such as floor plans, elevations, sections, etc., always updated.
By using online applications for creating graphic documents, you can have a dynamic view of the mentioned documents, directly linked to the model. This brings huge benefits in using the IFC model throughout the entire lifecycle of the project, allowing you to:
- export documents in DXF/DWG/DWF formats;
- upload and manage all your projects directly in the cloud;
- easily obtain measurements of each element or surface;
- create filters and use 3D views for better visual project management.
How to create floor plans, elevations, and sections online
Imagine needing to produce graphic documents such as floor plans, elevations, sections, etc., and having an IFC file of the model but no BIM authoring software to open it.
In this case, you need an application that allows you to upload your model online and extract all the necessary drawings.
Here’s how you can do it quickly and easily:
- Access usBIM;
- Upload your project file;
- Double-click on the file name or click the screen icon;
- In the window that appears, select “” and then choose usBIM.blueprint;
- Now, by clicking the “+” icon, you can choose to add floor plans or sections;
- In the next step, you can adjust the reference level that “cuts” (or doesn’t “cut” in the case of elevations and plans) our model by moving the face of the section cube that is displayed;
- In the properties panel (located on the right side of the screen), enter the name of the document and then click
- Wait a moment and view all the newly created documents in the tree menu on the left side of the screen.