The solar panel canopy is a structure designed to shade ground areas, parking lots, pedestrian paths and much more. Here are types and advantages.
Solar panel canopies are innovative solutions to optimize spaces generating clean electrical energy. These sophisticated coverings are specifically designed to transform solar light into electricity. Offering significant benefits both in residential and public contexts.
There are several factors influencing the system energy efficiency that must be consider when designing a solar panel canopy. Among the factors to be carefully evaluated are: the canopy slope’s orientation (which determines the amount of sunlight the photovoltaic panels can capture) and the shading.
To define these parameters, you can use solar photovoltaic design software that allows real-time verification of the photovoltaic array’s correct positioning, based on the actual installation site conditions and the design of any type of photovoltaic system (roof-mounted photovoltaic system, facade-mounted photovoltaic system, etc.).
What is a Solar Panel Canopy
A solar panel canopy is a structure designed to create photovoltaic roofs. They are widely used in car parks, maximizing the available space to generate solar energy efficiently. Typically, two main types of materials are used for the structure of a solar panel canopy: hot-dip galvanized steel with shaped inverted omega profiles and wood. Hot-dip galvanized steel is one of the most common choices. This material is known for its resistance to corrosion and rust, essential considering exposure to weather agents. Structures made of hot-dip galvanized steel are often characterized by shaped inverted omega profiles that efficiently channel rainwater, preventing water accumulation that could compromise structural integrity and the performance of photovoltaic panels.
The installation of solar panel canopies requires strict compliance with a series of regulations and authorizations to ensure project safety, quality, and legality. These regulations vary from country to country and can also be influenced by local norms.
Solar Panel Canopy: Types
Solar panel canopies are available in different types, each designed to adapt to specific needs and applications:
- solar panel canopies for parking lots;
- solar panel canopies for garden areas;
- solar panel canopies for bus stop areas.
Solar Panel Canopies for Parking Lots
This category is widespread in both public and private parking lots. Usually made with an aluminum structure, it is covered by PVC sheets and takes the form of a real vehicle canopy. Solar panels capturing solar energy are positioned above it. This solution provides an ideal cover for parked cars, offering shade and the opportunity to produce clean energy.
Solar Panel Canopies for Garden Areas
This type of canopy is designed for green spaces such as parks and gardens. Often equipped with an island photovoltaic system with storage, they allow the use of solar energy without the need for foundation excavations. Moreover, many of these canopies are equipped with charging columns for electric vehicles, making the area suitable for charging eco-friendly electric cars.
Solar Panel Canopies for Bus Stop Areas
This category of canopies is commonly installed at public transport stops. Besides providing shade for waiting passengers, they often have solar panels to power LED lighting at the stops, as well as for charging electronic devices like smartphones and tablets. Additionally, backlit advertising panels can be activated, offering dynamic advertising opportunities.
What are the Advantages of Solar Panel Canopies?
Solar panel canopies are a highly advantageous solution, whether installed in residential or public areas. These multifunctional structures offer a range of benefits extending beyond mere coverage:
- Production of clean and renewable energy: by integrating photovoltaic panels into their structure. These coverings capture solar energy and convert it into electricity. Without producing harmful emissions or greenhouse gases;
- Functional shading: since they offer effective shading that can be utilized in various ways. For instance, they can be installed above car parks, creating shaded areas that protect vehicles from the sun while generating energy. Furthermore, these coverings can be used to create parking areas, outdoor refreshment zones or shelters for pedestrian areas;
- Energetic production without occupying space: dual usage of space as parking or refreshment areas and energy sources contributes to maximizing the overall efficiency of an area;
- No need for masonry or construction work: their installation does not require significant masonry or construction work. Resulting in sustainable solar energy benefits without additional costs or complex building works;
- Architectural integration: solar panel canopies are designed to harmoniously integrate with the surrounding architecture. Not only enhancing the site’s aesthetic but also increasing its overall value;
- Resistance and durability: canopies are made with high-quality materials like hot-dip galvanized steel, offering resistance to corrosion and long-term durability. This robustness allows them to withstand adverse weather conditions and environmental factors;
- Easy maintenance and cleaning: maintaining solar panel canopies is simple and mainly involves regular cleaning of the solar panels.