How to view and modify an architectural design from your browser directly in real-time rendering or in a VR experience without using a BIM software
Have you ever thought of the possibility of accessing, exploring, and editing your project’s 3D model online, without relying on a BIM authoring software? Typically, accomplishing these tasks would entail installing various software and applications on your computer.
In this article, I be showing you a much easier way: a single BIM construction metaverse application that works directly online! You can practically view, navigate in immersive virtual reality and modify your project, directly from your browser. The experience is truly amazing and realistic and allows you to have full control over your design choices and avoid design mistakes. Let’s see how!
How to navigate and modify an architectural design from your browser
If you want to view a 3D model (made with the most popular BIM software or in an open IFC format) in a realistic way and make small changes (delete a partition wall, move furniture, modify a window, etc.), you can do it directly from your browser with a BIM metaverse tool. Here’s the step-by-step procedure:
- sign in to usBIM;
- upload your file (3D model in IFC, DWG, Revit, DXF format, etc.) to the usBIM cloud;
- choose usBIM.reality from the available apps;
- start navigation of the 3D model (choose between first-person and orbital navigation and move in the model using the mouse and keyboard, change the weather conditions and take screenshots of the scene in real-time);
- wear your headset to enter the immersive virtual reality model and start an immersive experience for you and your customer (you can also collaborate in an “immersive” viewing mode with other team members, as everyone can view the same model at the same time from anywhere in the world);
- interact with the model and edit the geometry directly in VR using the hand-held controllers.
Things you can do while browsing in VR
Viewing the model in real-time rendering is an extremely realistic experience. You can observe the architectural choices you have imagined and the constructive details of the project before the project is realized. By navigating the 3D model in first person, you can immediately notice any issues or choices that you wouldn’t have been able to perceive from a simple rendered image. In this case, you can modify the model while browsing and therefore consider the different alternative design solutions. For example, you can move the furniture around to find the best arrangement, move windows and doors according to how the sunlight eneters the internal environments. Or even remove partition walls to improve the functionality of the interior spaces.
All changes made in real-time will also be automatically saved in the 3D model.
There are many things you can do while browsing in VR:
- take a virtual tour inside the 3D model and experience a participated 3D interaction with the project;
- take measurements from the model;
- move and delete objects;
- manage weather conditions (sunshine, cloudiness, rain, etc.);
- simulate natural lighting during different hours of the day;
- save different views;
- share your point of view with other users connected to the model and organize virtual tours with them;
- evaluate any interferences between models by means of visual checks or by initiating a clash detection phase;
- use all the features of usBIM.browser (clash, checker, edit, etc.);
- visually assess project choices.
Why use virtual reality in architecture?
Using virtual reality can be an added value for the various stages of your professional activity:
The use of virtual reality, real-time rendering and BIM metaverse applications makes your work more competitive improving the final result of the project. It also helps avoid misunderstandings and overcomes the communication gap between customers, companies, suppliers and collaborators.