Construction site documents are contractual products that define the implementation of a construction project. Find out which are they and how to manage them easily
Construction site documents represent the heart of a building project. Any intervention must be planned in detail before being carried out and site documents represent the complete guide.
Continue reading and you will find out in detail what are they and what types of construction site documents and you will learn how to organize and manage them easily with a few simple moves through a site engineering document management software.
What are construction documents?
There isn’t just one type of construction document and they come in many types. In fact, they can be a series of drawings, reports and contractual files that a technician produces in the design development phase of a construction.
These documents contain all the information needed to:
- obtain the necessary authorisations from the competent authorities;
- specify every construction detail to the company that will then build the structure.
What is the purpose of the construction documents?
The main purpose of the construction site documents is to safely execute a project. Therefore architects or engineers who designed the facility need to properly instruct the contractor through these documents.
Nothing must be left to chance and everything must be detailed:
- constructions systems;
Which are the site constructions documents?
Various types of construction documents can be identified, here are 10:
- constructions contracts: regulate in detail the role of all parties involved;
- general procurement documents: requests and requirements for participation;
- general information: general configuration of the project, scope, reference legislature, etc.;
- construction drawings: such as site plans, elevation plans and architectural sections, carpentry, electrical diagrams or building’s facilities plants, etc.;
- technical specifications: tender documents, equipment, standards, technical requirements;
- structural and seismic projects: spreadsheets, seismic analysis, material property relations, etc. ;
- geological surveys: site and landscape condition analysis;
- bills of quantities: define the costs of realization of the work itself;
- construction schedule: management and planning of construction methods and production times;
- safety: plans and control programmes on site.
Why is documentation important on site?
Site documentation is very important because you need it:
- to follow and coordinate in complete safety accordingly to the law of constructions works on site;
- to ensure the good organization of the work performance;
- to be in line with the obligations of the enterprise.
On-site documents must be:
- always updated;
- kept in order;
- integrable in case of need.
Who and how should construction documentation be manage?
Inside the yard is the director of works who, as technical, accounting and administrative manager manages the building site documents.
The Director of Works is responsible for:
- service orders;
and especially administrative documents such as:
- works journal;
- measurement booklet;
- accounting register;
- WIP (Work In Progress);
- final account of works.
In the construction site work is also supported by the SCE (Security Coordinator in Execution Phase), which manages and adapts the CSP (Construction Security Plan) and the work file, in relation to the progress of the work and any changes.
Should the construction site documentation be kept?
It is mandatory, by law, to keep on site a series of documents that it is important to consult in case. Naturally of need, and produced promptly in case of control by officials in charge.
What are the consequences of inadequate site documentation?
Developing inadequate site documentation and failing to meet the deadlines for documentation can have very harsh consequences.
The lack of mandatory procedures entails a number of risks. Including penalties and work stoppages, as well as, of course, compromising the safety of the construction site itself.
How to properly manage all construction site documents?
As we have seen, managing paper documents in a workplace is very complicated and it is easy to lose important files. For this, compared to a traditional and manual management, a software that supports the constructions sites’ management of the expirations and the documentation is the keystone. Particularly for compliance with the requirements of saving time and resources of course.
What are you waiting for?
Try a engineering document management software, an online platform that will not only facilitate your business, but will make it more efficient:
- Constantly and easily archive at your disposal all construction documents files;
- the documentation will always be updated;
- share all files easily in your team, without risk of losing them;
- generate alerts for various deadlines;